Upcoming Retreat Dates:
October 11 – October 17
Each of these weeks will be a time to learn how to listen to God through praying with Scripture and through meditation. You will have one-on-one time with a spiritual director who can help you pay attention to the stirrings of God within your heart. You will understand the differences between monastic, apostolic and contemplative vocations, and will be introduced to the Benedictine monastic way of life through prayer, meals, structured conversations, work and leisure time with the Sisters of Mother of God Monastery.
The three vows which characterize Benedictine life are stability, fidelity to the monastic way of life, and obedience. This week will unfold the meaning of vowed life as lived by Benedictines.
- Stability is a life-long commitment to a specific community of women.
- Fidelity to the Monastic Way of Life calls us to daily seek God and become the person God created us to be. This vow includes poverty ( which calls us to hold all things in common and to share generously) and celibacy (which challenges us to give God, and God alone, the central place at the core of our being).
- Obedience is listening to God, as God speaks to us through many voices in the context of community.
Your week will also be an opportunity to be immersed in the life of Mother of God Monastery, where a balanced life of prayer, work, study, and leisure models Benedictine community life.
- Prayer: Morning and Evening Prayer, Daily Mass, individual spiritual direction, time for private prayer.
- Work: Depending on each one’s abilities and interests, participants work with the sisters in the works of the monastery, such as: music, gardening, cooking, outreach to youth, ministry to the elderly, etc.
- Study: Learn how to discern God’s voice; an overview of the life of Benedict, his rule, and how Benedictine women and men have formed and shared their values over their 1500-year history.
- Leisure: Spend time with sisters at their lake home, walk and relax on the Monastery grounds, participate in recreational activities with the sisters.
- For each retreat, the first day listed is an arrival day, the last day listed is a departure day.
- There is no fee charged to participants.
To participate, contact:
Sister Adrienne Kaufmann, OSB
Mother of God Monastery
110 28th Ave SE #59
Watertown, SD 57201